Welcome to the Literature Life of Brianna.

Welcome to the Literature Life of Brianna.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Imperfect Amish

Tonight, I went to a presentation given by Saloma Miller Furlong, author of Why I Left the Amish.  I was really intrigued by her experience in the Amish, as I normally consider their society to be closer than the mainstream to the ideal existence.   While I know that the Amish way of living has its' flaws, I normally hold up their rejection of technology and community living as, in some ways, better than my own way of living.  However, Saloma's story was very moving, as she endured abuse, twisted relationships,  and  confining expectations of what she could become, eventually ending with her first attempt to leave the Amish.  I was fascinated that she could still stay in touch with her family because her community's ban was not as strict as I had imagined.  I thought it was very brave of her to share her painful history, as it may  spark a change for the better in the lives of both the English and the Amish.


2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad we went to this. Plus the cookies were delicious. I wish we would have had background knowledge on Saloma Miller Furlong. I was very surprised she was abused as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to have dinner with her, but was unable to go to the presentation. I wish I could have. I come from an area densely populated with Amish, and occasionally we hear of some less than ideal experience, but the majority of negative experiences are kept hush hush. I admire her courage to speak up.

    ReplyDelete